What are shampoo soaps and how do you use them?
Flow shampoo bar is a soap based product, which is entirely natural and made with organic oils. All the ingredients are chosen especially for the hair, and to treat different types of scalps and hair types. The shampoo soap bar is detergent free, preservative free and free from artificial colors and fragrances. By using a solid shampoo, you will also protect our environment from plastic waste.
It’s very important to notice that when you start using a soap based shampoo bar there might be a transition period depending on your hair type, what is the condition of your hair and how much residues and build up there are from previous products. During the transition your hair can feel oily, waxy or sticky, your scalp can also feel different than before.
While many don’t experience the transition period at all, for some it can take longer to adjust to a soap based product. Usually the transition period lasts from 1 to 10 washes, and for most of our clients it has lasted under 5 washes.
For some, the transition period can last even longer than 10 washes, especially if the hair is long and treated with bleach, or permed. Treated hair is more porous and thus is more prone to residues and build-ups. The residues from shampoo soap may adhere to the porous parts of hair, leaving it feeling waxy or sticky.
How to use the shampoo bar
Massage into wet hair until a good lather forms. Rinse quickly a little bit and repeat lathering.
There needs to be plenty of lather to get the best result. Use warm water because it activates the soap.
Remember to lather the hair strands and tips too, not only the scalp.
When there is enough lather, massage your scalp and rinse with warm water.
Finish with Flow hair rinse, homemade ACV-rinse or your choice of conditioner.
The pros and cons of shampoo soap bars
+ environmentally friendly and biodegradable formula
+ NO synhetic surfactants (e.g. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) that can dry out the scalp and cause irritation
+ Gives more volume to the hair
+ Hair feels easier to form
+ Hair reverts to its natural form and usually curls more
+ No plastic waste, no bottles!
+ Suitable for whole family
+ A little goes a long way
+ Easy to take with you when traveling. It’s light and and takes only a little space.
+ Handcrafted in Finland with ethical and environmentally friendly production
– There can be some waxy or sticky feeling when adjusting to the shampoo soap.
– For some users the stickyness is hard to get rid of depending of the water and hair type. But, fortunately most will enjoy the benefits of this natural product right a way and don’t get any sticky or waxy effect!
Hard water contains minerals (calcium and magnesium) which will reduce the cleansing ability of soap and can cause a sticky or waxy feeling on your hair. If you have hard water, it’s better to use a water softener in your shower. You can also soften your water by adding a tablespoon of baking soda into 5 litres of water and use the solution to wet hair before shampooing.
You can follow these instructions to speed up the transition period and get rid of the waxy/sticky effect:
- Lather very hair carefully, including hair strands, hair roots and especially tips. Always do a quick rinse in the middle of shampooing. Remember to use warm water with soap based products.
- Rinse hair thoroughly with warm water.
- Towel dry gently.
- Use Flow Hair Rinse or a homemade ACV rinse. Acidic hair rinse will remove the soap residues, and make hair shiny and easy to comb. If you have a lot of waxiness in your hair, use a stronger solution of the rinse. You can also mix ACV with Flow rinses to make the solution stronger.
- You can also try rinsing with baking soda before washing the hair: 1tbs of baking soda and 250 ml of water. After that shampoo as usual.
- You can also try deep cleansing your hair with green clay. Mix clay with water and apply the paste on clean and damp hair, and then leave it in for half an hour. Then wash your hair gently with shampoo bar and finish with a hair rinse.
- One trick is to lather the hair with a sponge, which makes it easier to apply thoroughly.